Juicy pieces of meat with a seared exterior are something that every gourmet will appreciate. Not only is this meat delicious, but it also looks visually appealing, and when you cut it, juices just start pouring out and leave a fantastic impression. To get these results in your home kitchen, you will require the best pellet grill for searing.
Thanks to great demand and growing innovations in technology, you can purchase these grills from your local suppliers or on online platforms such as Amazon. But which one to choose? The market is competitive, and products have similar features, so picking the right pellet grill may present itself as a challenge.
There is no reason to worry because we did thorough research and came up with a list of some of the best-reviewed products that will grant superb value for money. So let us start.
List of Best Pellet Grill for Searing
1. Z GRILLS ZPG-450A 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
Cost-efficient and surprisingly well-built this pellet grill performs amazingly, and it comes as no surprise that it is one of the best-selling grills on Amazon. Z Grills recently put themselves on the map by making top-notch grills that are also visually appealing.
ZPG-450A is an updated version of grills that were among the most popular in this line. The product is made using high-quality, robust gauge steel construction that rests on a firm cart base. It comes with a pair of wheels and two adjustable feet so that you can move the grill wherever you please.
A 15-pound wood pellet hopper is big enough to hold a sufficient amount of pellets even throughout long grilling sessions. The grill also has a broad temperature range that can go as low as 180 degrees and as high as 450 degrees, which is perfect for searing your favorite pieces of meat.
2. Traeger Grills Pro Series 575 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker with Wifi
Traeger is the manufacturer that was one of the pioneers of the pellet grill niche. That being said, they constantly improve on their products, and as such, they developed a loyal and devoted customer base. This particular model boasts excellent build quality alongside some exciting innovations.
Once the Traeger Pro 575 arrives, you will notice just how quality the construction is. It boasts thick-gauge steel, and fasteners are heavy-duty. As far as the assembling process goes, it will take a bit longer; however, the instruction manual is very comprehensive, and if you follow the steps carefully, you should not encounter any problems. Note that the grill is a bit heavy, so it is best to assemble it with an extra pair of hands.
The performance of this grill is truly outstanding as far as the grilling and the product’s WiFire app goes. The app lets you monitor the temperature of the cooking chamber as well as the progress of the meat inside of it. This is a great feature since you will not have to open the chamber and alter the temperature or smoke density.
3. PIT BOSS PB440D2 Wood Pellet Grill, 440 sq. inch, Mahogany
Coming from the Pit Boss store, this model of a pellet grill is similar to the original model. However, it comes with a lower price tag, and it keeps all the nice features that the original product had. It is stylish, visually appealing, and makes outdoors grilling very fun.
The product is beautifully designed with a mahogany barrel finish and a side shelf with a serving tray. There are also two wheels attached to the product so that you can easily move it around. One of the legs is mounted with a bottle opener which is nice little touch. There is also an LED screen on the hopper, but it may be very difficult to read on a sunny day.
The grill is made using heavy-gauge steel and feels really sturdy and well-constructed. The grease bucket is made of aluminum, and the cooking grids are made of porcelain-coated steel, which adds even more to the overall quality and durability of the product.
4. Coyote 36 Inch Freestanding Pellet Grill on Cart
Coming from the Coyote Outdoor Living store, this pellet grill will provide you with amazing performance and then some. From low and slow smoking to grilling and roasting, this fantastic product can do absolutely everything. Although it comes for a higher price, the value it provides is worth every penny.
The thing that really separates this product from the rest of the pack is the fact that it holds temperature better than most of the competitive products. Made of thick heavy-gauge stainless steel, this pellet grill is available in both freestanding and built-in versions.
The unit is big, shiny, and very easy to use. It boasts 1.000 square inches of cooking area, and the primary surface is a laser-cut stainless steel plate. Overall, the grill is quite heavy and robust, and high temperatures amp up the searing power. It is a powerful grill, and its maximum temperature sits at 700 degrees. If you want a reliable and heavy-duty grill, this one is definitely worthy of your attention.
5. Oklahoma Joe’s 20202105 Rider 900 Pellet Grill
Featuring over 900 square inches of cooking space, this pellet grill looks amazingly well and offers superb performance for all those grill enthusiasts out there. The cooking drum size is excellent; once you take the rack out, the overall value is great when you consider the price tag.
Assembling the product is fairly easy and will not take too much of your time. However, there is an option to purchase it preassembled, so go for it if possible to save some of your precious time. This model comes with some excellent features, and minor details like a removable ash collector under the burn pot eliminate the need to vacuum it often.
The ability to dump unused pellets into the storage bucket once you are finished with grilling is an excellent and convenient innovation. You will get the perfect smoke every time, and unlike on some lower-quality grills, the metal is thick, and it will not bend. The product offers excellent performance and is well worth checking out.
6. Camp Chef 24 in. WIFI Woodwind Pellet Grill & Smoker with Sidekick
This product is a true game-changer when it comes to smoking and grilling. It does an excellent job for all types of meat and offers superb performance. This 24-inch model offers 811 square inches of cooking surface, but if you need more, there is also a 36-inch model available.
This product boasts direct flame mode, which enables you to create a high heat sear zone by exposing the meat directly to the flame. The grill comes with many interesting features and multiple upsides. However, the issue that commonly occurs with this product is its Bluetooth/WiFi connectivity, which tends to break randomly.
Assembling is pretty easy, and it should not take more than an hour to complete. Once assembled, the product requires a 30-minute break-in period. The meat cooked on this grill is juicy and tastes excellent. If you want to break the bank a bit, this product is worth looking into.
7. Green Mountain Davy Crockett Sense Mate Electric Wi-Fi Control Foldable Portable Wood Pellet
Coming from the Green Mountain Grills, this pellet grill is an excellent solution for camping, tailgating, and various outdoor adventures due to its amazing portability. Its compact size makes it one of the most practical grills on our list.
Davy Crockett grill weighs a mere 68 pounds, and it is also foldable so that you can store it in your trunk easily without taking too much space. Moreover, it produces enough heat to suit all your searing needs, which is really rare for such a small pellet grill.
The grill boasts a 150 to 550 degrees temperature range, and in addition, it has a 5-degree incremental control to set the right heat for searing. It also features CMG Smart technology, allowing you to monitor the temperature and progress of your meat via your mobile device.
8. PIT BOSS PB850G Wood Pellet Grill
This wood pellet grill is one of the latest and the best products from the Pit Boss store when it comes to technology and performance. When it comes to searing, they added a feature that is quite similar to Camp Chef’s sliding diffusor, which is quite convenient.
This product boasts a temperature range between 150 and 500 degrees, but it can go even higher when you set it up in direct heat mode. Although it might look daunting, the assembling part is fairly easy, and you can do it very fast, approx within an hour.
The grill works amazingly – easy and quick startup like a gas grill with the smokey flavor of a charcoal grill, and offers the best of both worlds. In addition, it has a really nice capacity and comes at an affordable price. The cooking surface area is 879 inches, more than enough.
9. Cookshack PG500 Fast Eddy’s Pellet Grill
PG500 comes from the Cookshack store and offers all the features that a quality pellet grill for searing should possess. It boasts a maximum temperature of 600 degrees, and the heat spreads evenly throughout the whole cooking chamber.
The body of the product is constructed using premium stainless steel, and it can withstand extremely high levels of heat without damaging the materials. The cooking surface is pretty wide at 784 square inches, which is way more than your average-sized grilled.
What really improves the searing effect of this pellet grill is a draft fan that enables the grill to supply itself with pressurized air. It also improves your grilling options and is a nice little feature added by the manufacturer. Although the price is a bit high, if you are ready to break the budget, this product will be well worth every penny.
Things to Consider When Buying Pellet Grill for Searing
Needless to say that the best pellet grill for searing should be more than just visually appealing. There are multiple small and big features to take into consideration when buying such a product, and in the section below, we will list some of the important ones that you should pay attention to.
1. Cooking Surface
To determine how big a cooking surface you require, you must first figure out the type of meat you are preparing and for how many people. The pellet smokes’ cooking surfaces you can purchase range between 300 and 1300 square inches. The ones with 300 square inches are suitable for smaller dining crowds, while 1300 can feed a small army, so choose accordingly.
2. Hopper Capacity
A hopper refers to a container designed for storing and feeding the pellets to the firepot through an auger. The size of the hopper is very important since it will determine how often you need to refill it. You should opt for a pellet grill with appropriate hopper capacity and according to your cooking requirements.
3. Temperature Range
The temperature range is one of the essential things to consider when buying a pellet grill. Most pellet smokers have a range between 180 and 500 Fahrenheit degrees, which is sufficient for grilling, baking, and smoking. However, you will require the smoker that boasts 450 degrees max temperature or higher for searing.
4. Cast Iron Grates
When shopping for a pellet grill for searing, we highly recommend that you look for the one that comes with cast-iron grates. It is due to their ability to retain heat at a much higher level and ability to come up to a temperature relatively quickly. Searing is much better and easier when the heat is consistent.
This is a feature that is not a must since it entirely depends on where do you plan to grill. If you plan to use the pellet grill for camping or some other outdoor activity that will require you to transport it, it is wise to pick the one that has attached wheels, can be folded and is relatively lightweight.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need to clean the pellet grill for searing after every use?
You should do it after almost every use since these grills gather a lot of ash and grease deposits that can interfere with air circulation and overall meat quality.
2. Is there any difference between grill and smoker?
Yes, and the main difference is in the temperatures you use. Grilling is done at high temperatures and requires less time, while smoking is the low-temperature heating that needs more time. Grilling generally cooks meat faster, while smoking adds characteristic flavor to it.
3. Should I season my smoker with oil?
Yes, you should, and it is recommended to use high burning point cooking oil. You can opt for grapeseed oil or canola oil. It does not really matter which one since both will do the trick.
4. Why is a pellet grill better than a gas or charcoal one?
Pellet grills are much more versatile and allow you to grill, roast, smoke, and bake food on a single product very easily. The food also gets that distinctive wood taste, and the grill itself does not require much maintenance.
5. Is it true that pellet grills are better for health?
The pellet grills use a circuitous cooking technique that reduces cancer-causing synthetic concoctions. The benefits are minor, but the topic is worth investigating with experts.
6. How much temperature should the pellet grill for searing provide?
Your pellet grill should provide at least 450 degrees max temperature or higher. Once you preheat it, you are ready to go. Searing should last between 3 and 5 minutes without interruptions.
No matter which grills from our list you choose, you are sure to get an excellent deal. We picked the products so that there would be something for different budgets and needs. These grills possess some of the best features you can find on the market and are well worth every penny.
We hope our guide will help you make an educated choice when shopping. Consider all important aspects that we have listed and look for customer reviews and second opinions, as they can only help you decide easier.
- Sears as well as it smokes with a 200-600°F temperature range.
- Weber porcelain-enamel finish helps prevent rusting and cracking.
- Large 1,008 square inches of dual grilling space.
- DC powered engine, specially designed to prevent auger jams.
- Designed to distribute even heat across the cooking area.
- 700 sq. in. total cooking surface.
- Porcelain coated wire grids with upper cooking rack
- Digitally controlled burn system.
- Fueled by 100% natural Pit Boss wood pellets.
- Perfect for family cookouts and small gatherings
- ALL NEW WIFI & Bluetooth PID controller automatically maintains cooking temperature with 4 meat probe ports, 4 meat probes, Sear Box which gets up to 900 F.
- 160 F to 500 F temperature range from slow smoking to grilling (25,000 BTU).
- Dial in your smoke level with our Smoke Control with settings 1 - 10.
- Slide and Grill technology that allows for direct flame cooking with temps up to 650 F.
- Patented Ash Kickin' Cleanout system that allows you to dump the ash after every cook.
- 8-in-1Pellet Smoker(2021 New Model)----Grill, smoke, bake, roast, sear, braise, barbecue and char-grill. Just set it and let it work: No more babysitting. Enjoy the cooking!Cover and Oil collector included.
- Huge Grilling Area----330 Square inches main grilling area and 270 square inch Smoking/Warming Rack; Foldable working shelf; You can cook for about 20 hours per 20 lbs. of pellets. When you do the math, you will find that pellet cooking typically costs less than a comparably sized GAS or CARBON grill.
- Searing Enable----Temperature can goes as high as 1000℉. Just open the air door to sear and adjust the temperature control to the Maximum, then then grill will change to searing mode.
- Accuracy(PID Controller )--Most stay within 10 degrees of the set temperature, no matter if its 10 degrees or 110 degrees outside; Temperature and Auto Pellet Feed Control System with PID CONTROLLER. The new upgrade digital control board auto ignites the grill and allows you to set the cooking temperature from 180°F to 450°F.
- US-Based Brand and Customer Service--We’re a U. S-based Brand that has been making high-quality grills and smokers for more than 30 years. With warehouses in Los Angeles, California and Atlanta, Georgia, we’ve exported top-of-the-line products to Europe and all around the United States. We’re proud of what we do and stand behind everything that we build.
- Designed To Work Effectively
- Durable And Long Lasting
- Convenient And Easy To Use
- No Assembly Required
- Your purchase includes 1 Traeger Ranger Grill with cast iron griddle to get that perfect sear on your steak, or cook an egg breakfast
- Product dimensions – 20" D x 21" W x 13" H | Cooking area – 184 square inches. | Product weight – 60 lbs. | Pellet hopper capacity – 8 lbs. | Max temperature – 450ᵒ | Voltage – 120V
- Easy-to-clean porcelain-coated grill grates
- Advanced Grilling Logic for precise temperature performance
- Cook timer lets you know when it’s time to sauce or check on food
- Heavy Duty Construction - Commercial quality 430 stainless steel construction ensures long lasting durability and performance
- Wi-Fi Control - Complete temperature control all through the free Memphis Mobile App (for iOS and Android)
- True Convection Cooking - 4-inch convection fans and advanced design for superior heat circulation and insulation
- Large Hopper Capacity - The 12-pound capacity pellet hopper provides ample volume for hours of grilling
- Direct Flame Insert - Included direct flame insert creates high heat for searing and can be removed to smoke at low temperatures
- Sportsman 500SP Wood Pellet Grill
- Hardwood Pellet Fuel
- 180°F to 500°F temperature range
- 8-in-1 versatility to grill, smoke, roast, bake, braise, barbecue, char-grill, and sear
- 542 sq.in of cooking capacity
- NEVER USE GAS OR CHARCOAL AGAIN: Traeger created the original wood-pellet grill as the ultimate way to achieve wood-fired taste. 500 °F Max Temp
- The Ironwood 650 takes it to the next level with precise temperature control.
- CONNECTED HOME TECHNOLOGY: WiFIRE technology connects your grill to home WiFi and the Traeger app allows the user to control the grill from anywhere
- BUILT FOR FAMILY COOKING: 650 sq in of grilling space that can accommodate eight chickens, or five rib racks, or six pork butts effortlessly; The built-in meat probe allows you to cook to perfection